Sure we can change our minds. We do that all the time.
“Hey, hon, let’s go out for seafood.”
“Oh, wait, I changed my mind. I want pizza. Is that cool?”
That’s is not what I’m taking about.
What I’m here to share with you is that we can change our state of mind . . . and how to do it.
We Are In Charge Of Our State Of Mind
Living Passively Means Life Really Lives Us
When we live passively we simply take what comes our way without grasping we do have choice to live life on our own terms, regardless of what society or family feels is “best” for us.
We fail to life an authentic life true to our own inner calling. We get to the end of our days and experience one of the most common regrets of the dying: “I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.”
Living Actively Means We Are Observers And Creators
We see what’s happening within ourselves. We are aware of our state of mind and consciously respond (rather than unconsciously react) in ways that move us forward toward our chosen life direction.
We can’t always control what’s happening around us, but we can choose how respond to our circumstances.
We can take action to make sure we are entering situations in the proper state of mind.
Flip the Switch
Tony Robbins tells a story in “Awaken the Giant Within” about when he was doing personal therapy and patients would sit down and immediately start going on and on about problems and start crying. Tony says he would stand up and shout, “Excuse me, we haven’t started yet!”
The client immediately stopped crying because their state was changed to that of disbelief. He interrupted their thought pattern.
Now if you’ve ever listened to Tony Robbins speak you know the power of influence he has so it’s easy to say, “yeah, if Tony shouted at me, my state would change too!”
Well, Tony has reached his the level of success because he chose to change his state of mind. He was a poor kid and as he grew up he practiced changing his state of mind in a way that involved his entire physiology. He not only spoke what he wanted (like an affirmation) he embodied it, what he calls an “incantation”.
It makes complete sense to include your whole being into changing your state. Mind, body, spirit . . . it’s all connected. To change one, you must change the whole.
If He Can Do It, So Can I . . . and So Can YOU
I don’t believe there is a person on this planet that has not had moments of self-pity, self-loathing, a lack of confidence or lack of self-esteem. The difference is that the Richard Branson’s, the Oprah Winfrey’s and the Tony Robbins’ of the world, know how to step out of those negative moments.
In addition to embodying incantations like Tony describes, here are other holistic approaches to change your physiology and mindset:
- Sing a favorite uplifting song with all your might. I love this one! Especially the end…double time baby!
- Stand tall and embrace your power by listening to something really moving like this.
- Exercise. Go for a run. Do some yoga. Anything to get the energy in your body moving.
Start Living Actively
To start living actively it’s important to check in with yourself and see where your state of mind is throughout the day. Here are a couple of scenarios:
1. Let’s say you’re in direct sales or network marketing and you sit down to make some calls to prospects. You start to feel your heart rate increase. You feel sweat start to bead up on forehead. Not a good space to be in before picking up the phone, right?
Flip the Switch
- Sing a favorite song at the top of your lungs. Maybe this one.
- Raise your arms in the air and state out loud, “I’m making these phones calls because there is someone out there I can serve. There is someone I help have a better life…”
- Keep building on this to fit your situation. Making the calls about serving others takes you out of your head.
2. You walk into a party where you don’t know many people and end up just wondering around on the periphery occasionally standing near other people laughing and having stimulating conversation, hoping to be invited into the conversation?
Flip the Switch
- Before entering the party listen to something really moving, again something like this.
- State out loud, “I (your name) am entering this party with a genuine smile on my face, joy in my heart, and the intention of meeting new friends and business associates. I will be a good listener, ask questions, and complement people. I am going to have an amazing time at this party!”
In both scenarios, having a high-energy, high-vibration state of mind not only makes you feel friggin’ amazing, it also affects and influences those around you.
This state of mind will attract like people to you!
It will help you get those leads, those sales, those new business associates and those new friends.
In conclusion, remember this quote from Napolean Hill:
“Positive and negative emotions cannot occupy the mind at the same time. One or the other must dominate. It is your responsibility to make sure that positive emotions constitute the dominating influence of your mind.”
Create an awesome life!